The Ministry of Health has announced that two cases of coronavirus infection (COVID-19) have been confirmed in Ghana.
The cases, according to the Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu, were confirmed on Thursday, March 12, 2020.
In a televised addressed from the Ministry of Health on Thursday evening, the Health Minister said the two cases are the first cases to be recorded in Ghana.
“Laboratory results of the two confirmed cases were received at the same time from the Noguchi Memorial Institute of Medical Research. Both individuals returned to Ghana – one from Norway and the other from Turkey – so these are imported cases of COVID-19.
“Both patients are currently being kept in isolation and are stable. We have initiated processes for contact tracing,” the Minister said.
He gave the assurance that the government of Ghana together with all health partners will continue to work assiduously to ensure the situation is contained.
The confirmation makes Ghana the latest African country to record the disease that has hit at least nine sub-Saharan African countries.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared COVID-19 a global pandemic.
Globally, there have been 134,511 cases recorded and at least 4,970 deaths.
Meanwhile, Citi News sources have confirmed that Ghana’s first two imported cases of the coronavrius Covid-19, are indeed foreign nationals. According to their sources, one is a senior official at the Norwegian Embassy in Ghana, whereas the other is a Turkish citizen.
At an emergency press conference on Thursday night by the Ministry of Information, the Health Minister, Kwaku Agyemang-Manu, did not disclose the identities of the two patients, except to say the cases were imported into the country.
He also did not say when or how the two foreign nationals entered the country and whether they went through the necessary checks and screening or not.
According to the Health Minister, “the two patients are stable and have been kept in isolation.”
The Minister, Kwaku Agyemang-Manu, also revealed that the Ministry of Health and other relevant state agencies have begun tracing individuals the two patients have have gotten in contact with.
“Both individuals returned to Ghana from Norway and Turkey. So these are imported cases of COVID-19.”
“The patients are currently being kept in isolation and are stable. We have initiated processes for contact tracing.” the statement added.
$100m allocated for coronavirus fight – Nana Addo
In an address to the nation on Wednesday, 11th March 2020, the President Akufo-Addo said he has directed the Minister for Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta, to make available the cedi equivalent of US$100 million to enhance Ghana’s Coronavirus preparedness and response plan.
This amount, according to President Akufo-Addo, “is to fund the expansion of infrastructure, purchase of materials and equipment, and public education”.
He further explained that with the declaration by the World Health Organisation (WHO) of the Coronavirus disease as a pandemic, it is important that Ghana steps up her preparedness to ensure that beyond the initial measures that have been put in place, a ‘whole of Ghana’ approach is adopted in preparation for a possible hit within the country’s borders.
Statistics so far
Nearly 4,000 people have died globally, with China the source of the virus, and Italy being the most affected. Over 100,000 cases have been recorded in over 120 countries.
In Africa, there have been very few cases, with Egypt leading with 67 cases, followed by Algeria with 24. South Africa has 13 cases, Morocco six, Tunisia 7, Senegal 4, Burkina Faso 2, Nigeria 2, Togo 1, DR Congo 1, Cameroon 2, and Cote D’Ivoire 1.
Ghana is the latest in Africa to record a case. Meanwhile there have been only three deaths so far in Africa, with one each recorded in Egypt, Morocco and Algeria respectively.
Source :citinewsroom.com /myjoyonline.com
You Can Contact Us Through: 0547688711 /0506666346 /email@example.com